BHPA is excited to honor the historic 1894 one-room Wooster Schoolhouse on its 2012 limited edition tree ornament. This118-year old structure, which was originally located at Arbor Street and Bayway Drive, is believed to be the oldest existing one-room frame schoolhouse indigenous to Harris County. It served as a classroom for grades one through seven and as a meeting place for the community. In 1919, it became part of the Goose Creek School District and was used, off and on, as a classroom, lunchroom, and music room for David G. Burnet Elementary. When Burnet closed in 1970, GCCISD’s Special Education Department moved in to Burnet and the little school was again used until 1980.
In 1986, the building was relocated to the Republic of Texas Plaza Park and restored. Wooster School continues to educate as a living history museum. A sketch of the schoolhouse as it originally looked will be depicted in shades of black, white, red, and blue on a 3 ¼ inch gloss green glass ball ornament. For more information on how to purchase this beautiful ornament, click on the ornament sketch (not exact size or colors).
1894 Wooster Schoolhouse
We also have a very limited number of ornaments left of the San Jacinto Memorial Hospital, Trainer's Drive-In, Baytown's first fire station on Minnesota Street, Lillie-Duke Hospital, and Brunson Theater. These keepsake ornaments are available for purchase at Sissy's Country at Heart, 622 Morrell Street in Baytown. Sissy's hours of operation are Wednesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information or to order by mail, click on the ornament sketches (not exact size or colors) for an order form.
San Jacinto Memorial Hospital
Baytown's First Fire Station
Lillie Duke Hospital
Mailing address: P. O. Box 1244, Baytown, TX 77522-1244 Republic of Texas Plaza 5117 North Main Baytown, TX Ph: 281.421.2099 Email: Info@baytownhistory.org